Types of modules
Integromat has five types of modules: ACTIONS, SEARCHES, TRIGGERS, AGGREGATORS and ITERATORS. The two latter ones are intended for advanced scenarios.
An action is the most common, most general type of module.
- Typical action returns just a single bundle which is then passed on to the next module for processing.
- Actions can be placed at the beginning, middle or end of a scenario.
- Scenarios can contain an unlimited number of actions.
- The Dropbox action Upload a file sends a file to a selected Dropbox folder and returns its identifier
- The Image action Resize receives an image, resizes it to specified dimensions, and passes the resized image on to the next action
- The Google Analytics action Create a report gets information about web traffic and passes it on for further processing
- Typical search returns zero, one or more bundles which are then passed on to the next module for processing.
- Searches can be placed at the beginning, middle or end of a scenario.
- Scenarios can contain an unlimited number of searches.
- The Monday search List pulses in all boards returns all account's pulses
A trigger is a module that generates bundles when there has been a change in a given service. The change can be a creation of a new record(s), deletion of a record(s), update of a record(s), etc. Integromat distinguishes between two types of triggers: Scheduled triggers and Instant triggers.
- Every trigger can return zero, one or more bundles which are then passed on to the next module for processing.
- Triggers can be placed only at the beginning of a scenario.
- Each scenario can contain only one trigger.
Scheduled triggers are designed to regularly poll a given service whether there has been a change since their previous run. So you will typically schedule a scenario containing a scheduled trigger to run periodically by selecting for example At regular intervals option from the Schedule setting panel. If there is a change the trigger will return bundles containing information about the change. If there is no change the trigger will output no bundles.
Scheduled triggers allow you to select the first bundle they should output via the epoch panel. The panel is displayed automatically after you save a trigger or when you make a substantial change in the trigger settings. You can also display the panel by right-clicking the module and choosing "Choose where to start" from the context menu.
- The Dropbox trigger Watch files returns files that were newly added since the last time the scenario was run
- The Twitter trigger Watch Tweets returns new Tweets posted by the user since the last time the scenario was run
- The Tumblr trigger Watch posts returns new posts added to a selected blog since the last time the scenario was run
Instant triggers enable the service to notify Integromat about the change immediately. You will typically wish to schedule a scenario containing an instant trigger to run immediately by selecting the Immediately option from the Schedule setting panel. See also Webhooks for further details on how the incoming data are handled.
- The Paypal instant trigger New notification returns new payment notifications. If you schedule a related scenario to run Immediately, it will be executed immediately after receiving the notification
An Aggregator is a type of module that compiles multiple bundles into one single bundle.
- Every aggregator returns only one bundle which is then passed on to the next module for further processing.
- Aggregators can be placed only in the middle of a scenario.
- Scenarios can contain an unlimited number of aggregators.
- The Archive aggregator Create an archive compresses received files into a zip archive
- The CSV aggregator Aggregate to CSV merges multiple strings from a csv file into a single row
- The Tools aggregator Compose a string combines several strings together into one single string
An iterator is a type of module that splits arrays into multiple separate bundles.
- Every iterator returns one or more bundles which are then passed on to the next module for processing.
- Iterators can be placed only in the middle of a scenario.
- Scenarios can contain an unlimited number of iterators.
- The Email iterator Retrieve attachments breaks an array of attachments into separate bundles